Saturday 27 November 2010

Advent: A time to prepare the heart.

How do you celebrate Christmas?
What does it remind you of?


During my time in the Uniting church I was introduced to the season of Advent: four weeks before Christmas to prepare you for that day.
It is something that I bought to my ministry in my current church, and each year endeavour to make a more central part of my Christmas preparations. I find that I get so busy leading up to Christmas that I don't get to do any of the enjoyable preparations for this event until the last days before Christmas.
I am determined to change this, this year. I want to enjoy the baking, the crafting and the decorating that comes with the season, but in doing these things preparing my heart for the coming of the King. Mayhaps it  will also place a salve on my wounded heart.
The first Sunday of Advent is tomorrow. In this first week, we celebrate Hope. Hope in the coming Messiah (as was long anticipated 2000 years ago and anticipated today, in his return to Earth). 

There truly is no other Being that can give the Hope that God does. He loves us so dearly, that he always has our best in his heart. Through great pain, he holds us, carrying us towards his glorious future.


In these last days, I have felt Him holding and sustaining me. He has placed friends around me, continually calling or offering to spent time with me. It has alleviated the pain in my heart when it has be broken most. Surely this is a practical expression of God's life-giving hope.
Look at your own life. Seek the moments God gives you each day that give you hope. 


See these moments as gifts from God, 
a practical
life-giving
gift!
HOPE

images via weheartit

No comments:

Post a Comment